Friday, April 17, 2009

Sniffles, Boots, Soup and Snuggles.

It's a lazy, snuggly saturday morning in our sweet little home. D goes to work a little later but until then we are sipping tea, (new ones from the visit to the big smoke; loose roasted dandelion, rosehip & a yarrow/elderflower/peppermint blend) I am blogging and D is wrapped up in 'The Age'. He's focused on the new samurai soduku for the week. I have a little sniffle I am nursing it by staying rugged up in my mohair blankie and committing to yet another quiet home day. My naturopath guardian angel dropped by with a good dose of vitamin C and echinacea. I did a speedie market run to Wesley Hill before 8 this morning and I have all the goods for making a love-imbued pot of pumpkin soup. I Heart Saturdays.

Yesterdays trip to Melbourne was so smooth and mellow. I didn't get a headache and I didn't get grumpy. I did achieve the boot purchase which is monumental and I am now feeling well equipped for the winter months in regards to both function and style. Retail purchases are not my idea of fun or relaxation. They are often second-guessed and pained over before I commit. Most often I end up in a funk about 'need vs want,' conscious consuming and the way buying crap has become the leisure activity of the western world. It's never been my idea of relaxation (give me two hours, a yoga mat and an eye pillow any day) and shopping for me is born out of the need to be warmer or because I have nothing to wear to wedding (a last resort if I am unable to borrow from a friend). With the help of two lovely women friends I made it through yesterdays purchase reasonably unscathed. This morning I am having a few 'do they fit me right' worries but D is being very reassuring, God bless his cotton socks.

I have often wondered how much of this 'make-do' attitude has been inherited from my amazing mother who spent eight years as a Catholic Mercy nun followed by the last thirty-four years as a devoted and selfless mother. She rarely buys herself new things and gives herself a rough time when she does but gives endlessly to others. My sister operates from the other end of the scale, more often making impulse purchases and I often encourage. As with all things I strive to strike a balance. I value being discerning and I value exploring and sometimes challenging my attitudes and belief systems. I am trying to cultivate a willingness to let go of beliefs that no longer serve me, sometimes this is smooth and sometimes clunky.

Last night I had a long overdue chat with a dear friend who lives on the other side of our state. After three years of social isolation on the island I am sometimes overwhelmed by the social activity and engaging that happens in the 'real world.' My tendency is to stay home alot, be inconsistent with phone calls to friends and be quite happy to go days without seeing anyone other that D. It's not because I don't love social activities or adore the gorgeous friends I have been blessed with. It seems more like I get distracted and immersed in doing solo things. I have also heard introverts described as those who get there energy from doing quiet/alone things and extroverts as being energised from social interaction. If this is the true definition I would fall into the introvert category. So I am sure you have gathered that I can be slack with phone calls but when I do get the space for a long chat I do thoroughly enjoy the catch-up. Last night was no exception. I felt so loved-up to have such a sweet, honest and brave friend. She is very patient with me and I am grateful for that.

Today I will pick the last of the tomatoes, make soup, yoga and watch the end of the red balloon movie.

k8 xo






No comments: